Due to the impact of COVID-19 and Audubon's commitment to help slow the spread, we highly encourage you to purchase ticket before arriving at the property. Tickets available at this link.
Limited timed entry tickets are available for staggered arrivals every 60 minutes. Late arrivals (more than 15 minutes without notification) may not be permitted if at capacity. Visitors may stay on-site through closing regardless of entry time. Please note that gates will close at noon. Please make sure you have exited the property by closing regardless of your ticket time.
The stated Restrictions below apply to all visitors. By purchasing a ticket, you agree to the Restrictions below. Failure to observe the stated Restrictions may result in visitors being asked to leave the property.
By purchasing a ticket, you agree to the following rules and guidelines which have been revised post-COVID. Please read thoroughly. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in visitors being asked to leave the property.
1. MAPS: There is limited availablity of paper trail maps during the pandemic; a downloadable version of our most recent trail map is available at the bottom of this page.
2. WEATHER CLOSINGS: In the event of severe weather, trails will be closed. Please provide an e-mail address with your ticket purchase to receive notification of tickets canceled due to weather conditions.
3. DOGS: Dogs are not permitted on the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center property. Trained service dogs are welcome and you must notify staff prior to arrival. Emotional support and companion animals do not meet the definition of a service animal and do not have the same access rights.
4. BICYCLES: Bicycles on trails are not permitted.
DOGS and BIKES are permitted on the City of San Antonio Howard Peak Greenway Trail at the Mitchell Lake Trailhead. More information can be found at this link.
5. PARKING: Parking is on property. Please note that the gate will be closed and locked at 1:00pm. All non-staff vehicles must exit the property by 1:00pm.
6. AREAS CLOSED: The following areas will remain closed until further notice: all indoor restrooms. Additional indoor areas may be closed based on current number of local COVID-19 cases.
7. TICKETS: The number of visitors permitted each day is limited. Advance ticket purchase highly recommended. You must have a ticket for each person in your group, including children and infants. The number of tickets available during each timeslot is capped. Your group size is limited by the number of tickets available during your desired entry time.
8. FACE MASKS REQUESTED: Visitors whom are not vaccinated must wear face masks during the check-in process and when passing others on trails. Visitors are expected to social distance by at least six feet from those not in their group at all times. When not possible to social distance, visitors are expected to wear masks when in close proximity to others not in their group, as well as when interacting with Audubon staff or volunteers, as a sign of courtesy to others.
9. KEEP IT CLEAN: Leave No Trace principles must be followed while on property. Pack out what you pack in. Leave nothing but footprints.
10. PERSONAL SAFETY: Please be mindful of your personal health and safety, especially during extreme temperatures. With all indoor areas closed to the public, air-conditioned space is not available. Bring sufficient water for your hike and dress appropriately. Water fountains are available for refilling water bottles only- not for individual use.
If you experience an emergency while on Audubon property, first call 911 and then call the center at 210.628.1639 to alert us that emergency vehicles are expected.
11. COVID-19 SAFETY: Anyone who is feeling unwell or who has had contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 should stay at home until the risk for the spread of infection has passed. However, no public activity can be 100 percent safe. By accessing any Audubon property, you accept the risk that you may come into contact with pathogens, including the COVID-19 virus. Older adults and people of any age with severe underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for developing serious complications from COVID-19. If you are in an elevated risk category, please consider visiting at a later date, when it is safer to do so.
12. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By reserving a ticket, you agree that you and your guests are visiting Mitchell Lake Audubon Center at your own risk and acknowledge that Audubon has made no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, regarding the safety of its property with respect to COVID-19 or other pathogens. You and your guests expressly release and hold harmless Audubon and its officers, directors, employees, agents, licensees, successors and assigns from and for any and all claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever for any loss, damage or injury to person or to property suffered or incurred in connection with visiting Audubon property. This release shall be binding upon you, your heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators and assigns.
THANK YOU for your adherence to these restrictions as we make an effort to manage the impacts of COVID-19.